In Our Names Network is seeking a
Job type: Full time, Remote- 32-40 hours per week
Compensation: $32,500/ 6 month retainer with possibility of renewal after review by the Executive Director
The In Our Names Network is a national network of over 20 national and local organizations, campaigns and individuals working to end police violence against Black women, girls, trans and gender nonconforming people. We formed in 2016 during a Network Gathering at the Allied Media Conference. Since then, we have been creating, gathering, and sharing resources and calls for action for individuals, families, and communities responding to and demanding justice in cases of police violence against Black women, girls, trans and gender nonconforming folks through our website and Facebook page.
In Our Names Network works to prevent and demand accountability for individual cases and systemic police violence against Black women, girls, and trans and gender nonconforming people. We do this by supporting and amplifying calls to action, resources and local campaigns of network members, and leveraging our collective power through nationally networked campaigns to bring about systemic change.
Our members engage in visionary organizing aimed at dismantling systems of policing as they operate on Black women, girls, trans and gender nonconforming people's bodies and life chances, and build new ways of preventing, interrupting, and ending gender-based violence so that all Black women, girls, trans, and gender nonconforming people can not only survive but thrive free from all forms of violence.
● Implement communications strategies and tactics to increase engagement of membership and target audiences
● Manage and maintain social media accounts, including drafting a monthly social media calendar, creating and publishing written content and graphics,
● Update website, including gathering and uploading new resources to the website resource hub
● Proactively propose creative strategies and tactics to help achieve organizational goals, research digital communications and public relations opportunities and make recommendations to Network Director
● Collaborate with Network Director, Rapid Response team, and network members in developing campaign strategies, plans and messaging
● Interface with media, including creating pitch lists, developing pitches to reporters and
● Draft and edit press advisories, media pitches and other written deliverables
● Provide hands-on support to Network Director and members at protests, press conferences, network activations and other in-person events
● Draft and send internal monthly newsletter to better inform network members of each other’s campaigns and advocacy efforts and promote cross collaboration
● Draft and send quarterly external newsletter to current and potential funders, donors, external partners, and subscribers
Qualified applications must have:
● Strong communication and interpersonal skills
● Experience with media relations and/or communications strategy
● Extensive experience with managing websites, social media accounts, email lists, and other digital communication tools
● Graphic design skills
● Strong research skills
● Ability to think strategically
● Ability to work on tight deadlines and manage multiple priorities
● Deep commitment to Black queer/trans feminist politic, PIC abolition, and elevating voices from marginalized communities
● Experience with or deep interest in community organizing, activism, gender justice, ending police violence
Applicants will be given preference who have:
● Deep understanding of Black feminist ecosystem
● Prior experience working on issues of police violence, criminal legal, racial justice, and/or LGBTQ+ justice- this is not a requirement for the role but a plus
● Basic HTML/CSS skills
● Experience with or deep interest in project management tools and practice
● Spanish fluency a plus
*Black women, trans and gender nonconforming people and survivors of police violence are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please submit an answer to this question in your application submission.
Share an example of a time you had to respond to a rapid response incident and how you were successful.
To apply, please send a resume, writing sample (can be a graphic you made, a paper from
college, or a really good mass email you wrote. We’re looking to see how you communicate).
and answers to the following questions here.
All applications should be submitted by October 31, 2023
Allied Media Projects is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, ethnicity, national origin, immigration status, sexual orientation, religion, HIV serostatus, disability, height, weight, veteran status or marital status.